Dr. Souza has 32 years of experience in the commercial real estate industry. He is a Registered Representative and Investment Advisor, Real Estate Consultant, and licensed California insurance agent, and real estate investment broker providing economic and investment consulting services to retail and institutional real estate investors.
Lawrence has also held senior positions in strategic portfolio research and analysis with BRE Properties, Metric Realty Advisors, Mellon-McMahan/MacFarlane Partners, Norris/Beggs & Simpson, and Grubb & Ellis. Dr. Souza holds undergraduate and graduate degrees in several fields including accounting, finance, economics, public administration, information systems, and political science; and a Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) with a concentration in Corporate Finance. His dissertation is titled: Modern Real Estate Portfolio Management (MREPM): Applications in Modern (MREPT) and Post-Modern (PMREPT) Real Estate Portfolio Theory.
He has also been teaching college-level courses for the past 25 years in Real Estate Principals-Practice-Law, Finance and Investments, Affordable Housing Policy and Development; Corporate Finance and Investments, Macro and Micro Economics, Financial Institutions and Money and Banking, and Derivatives and Financial Engineering at Cal. State East Bay (Hayward), Golden Gate University (GGU), San Francisco (SFSU)/Cal State East Bay/San Jose (SJSU) State University, Santa Clara University (SCU), University of San Francisco (USF), Saint Mary’s College (SMC), and Menlo College. SMC/SEBA Awards: Outstanding Faculty Advisor (Finance Club), and Outstanding Faculty Service Award).
- Counselor of Real Estate (CRE)
Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
- Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM)
- Member of the American Real Estate Society (ARES)
- Member of the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AREUEA)
- Member of Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Mentor for the Robert Toigo Foundation
- Advisory board member for the Real Estate Research Institute (RERI), Bay Area Council (BAC)/the University of Southern California (USC) Ross Program in Real Estate (San Francisco), Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW-SF), and Community Awareness and Treatment Services (CATs)
- Advisor and participant Bank of America Affordable Housing Challenge (4 years)